Welcome to Stockton on the Forest and Hopgrove
Stockton on the Forest is a linear village approximately 1.5 miles long and has one main road with three names - Stockton Lane, The Village and finally Sandy Lane as you head away from York. It lies approximately 4 miles North East of the City of York, North Yorkshire. It is part of the unitary authority of York, under Strensall Ward and is a civil parish in itself. It has a population of more than 1300 people over 500 households. Access to the village is via the A64/A1036/A1037.
The hamlet of Hopgrove lies just to the south of Stockton village comprising around 100 households. It is split down the middle where the Old Foss Beck flows with half lying within the parish of Stockton and half within the parish of Huntington.
Surrounding villages include Murton, Holtby, Warthill, Upper Helmsley, Sand Hutton, Claxton and Flaxton. Map co-ordinates are SE656560.
The village was first mentioned in the Domesday Book as Stocheton but much of the current village is based on the properties built on plots of land which historically were laid out in accordance with the Enclosures Act, c1800. For more in depth insights into the history of our village see the Stockton and Hopgrove Local History Group pages.
Stockton on the Forest is a modern community with many amenities including a village hall, church, pub, garage, school, pre-school nursery, scout hut, children’s play area, village shop, doctor’s surgery, B&Bs, golf club, commercial centre, museum and garden centre. Hopgrove supplements the facilities in Stockton with its own garden nursery, post office, bakery, pub and hotel.
The village hall provides a home for numerous clubs and societies that serve all ages in the community. Details of these groups can be found on this website.